Friday, March 30, 2018

Meta Game Jam - GameDotEXE

Hey you guyyysss,

I recently saw a post for a game jam with the theme of meta. I was on the fence about doing it because I wasn't sure if I would be able to finish in time. A few days I jotted some ideas on my whiteboard, then decided I would throw my hat into the ring. In my game jam entry, you are trying to make a game on an old computer.

Referencing old operating systems and creating my own versions and art assets in Pyxel Edit was fun. I popped back and forth between Pyxel Edit and Photoshop. It's difficult to stay in one tool for everything nowadays.

I used unity and playmaker to do all the dev. I'm not sure if it was overkill to put so many little details in. Like I added X buttons and had the folders in-game toggle your windows. I also added a media player just for 1 song I created. Which could've just been an "autoplay" type of deal. It was nonetheless really fun to create.

I did the sound effects using my blue mic and modifying the sounds with audacity. The song I made was using Reason 10. I thought to do something less retro would emulate the type of "trying-to-be-real" to break the 4th wall. The entry is listed below. Check it out, and let me know what you think.

Cheers,
Yanni

https://itch.io/jam/metagamejam/rate/240442






No comments:

Post a Comment